Yoshihiro Nakayama, PhD
PhD-project title: Analysis and modeling of the distribution of traces of glacial melt in the Southern Ocean with focus on the southeast Pacific sector
From previous studies, it has been found that Antarctic ice sheet is melting in the southeast Pacific sector. This melting is caused by the the relatively warm Circumpolar Deep Water (CDW) that flows onto the continental shelf in Amundsen Sea and is considered to be one of the major causes for the freshening of the Ross Sea.
Thus, in this study, the observational data is firstly analysed to deepen our understanding of the ice sheet melting in Amundsen Sea. Then, the influence of the glacial melt is analysed with with Finite Element Sea Ice Ocean Model (FESOM).
Start of doctoral thesis: 1st June 2011
Defence of doctoral thesis: 17th February 2015 (view thesis)
Supervisor : Dr Hartmut Hellmer
Co-Supervisor : Dr Michael Schröder, Dr Peter Lemke, Dr Ralph Timmermann
- Nakayama Y., Timmermann R., Rodehacke C., M., Hellmer H. H., 2014,
Modeling the spreading of glacial melt water from the Amundsen and Bellingshausen Sea, Geophysical Research Letters, accepted
- Nakayama Y., Timmermann R., Schröder M., Hellmer H. H., 2014,
On the difficulty of modeling Circumpolar Deep Water intrusions onto the Amundsen Sea continental shelf, Ocean Modeling, 84,26-34
- Nakayama Y., Ohshima K. I., Matsumura Y., Hasumi H., Fukamachi Y. A, 2014,
Numerical, Investigation of Formation and Variability of Antarctic Bottom Water formation off Cape Darnley, East Antarctica, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 44, 11, 2921-2937
- Nakayama Y., Schröder M., Hellmer H. H., 2013
From Circumpolar Deep Water to the Glacial Melt Water Plume on the Eastern Amundsen Shelf, Deep Sea Research Part l, 77, 50-62
- Nakayama Y., Ohshima K. I., Fukamachi Y., 2012
Enhancement of sea ice drift due to the dynamical interaction between sea ice and a coastal ocean, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 42, 179-192
- Schröder, M.,Wisotzki A., Nakayama Y., Rucker M.C., Svenja R, Albrecht T., Mengel, M., 2013 Oceanography and tracer measurements, The Expedition of the Research Vessel" Polarstern" to the Antarctic in 2013 (ANT-XXIX/3), 4, 88-100
- Forum for Research into Ice Shelf Processes, FRISP, talk: Yoshihiro Nakayama and Michael Schröder, Spreading of the melt water plume from Pine Island Glacier, 12-14 June 2012.
- Helmholtz Research School on Earth System Science, Annual Retreat 2012, Bremerhaven, “Deutsches Auswandererhaus“, Poster Presentation: Nakayama, Y et al., “Analysis and modelling of the distribution of traces of glacial melt in the Southern Ocean with focus on the southeast Pacific sector.“ 30 November, 2012.
- European Geophysical Union, EGU, Vienna, poster: Yoshihiro Nakayama and Ralph TImmermann and Hartmut Hellmer, On the difficulties of modeling Amundsen Sea embayments, 15-19 Apr 2013.
- Antarctica-Expedition ANT XXIX/3, 21.01.13 - 19.03.13, Punta Arenas, South Chile to Punta Arenas, South Chile.
- Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie supervised by Dr. Christian Rodehacke